Greenwood and the surrounding area offer several opportunities to enjoy visual arts. Looking for ideas? Try one of the following:
- Visit the Southside Art League’s gallery or enroll in one of its many art classes.
- Stroll along Polk Hill Trail near Smith Valley Road to enjoy the public art sculptures outdoors.
- Drop by Madison Village (Madison Avenue just north of Main Street) to experience crafts, art and antiques.
- Take a brief drive to Indianapolis to visit the Indianapolis Museum of Art. It features a permanent collection of more than 50,000 works of art from a variety of cultures and periods in art history. The museum also features national and international traveling exhibitions throughout the year. While there, take time to enjoy the museum’s Virginia B. Fairbanks Art & Nature Park, an urban oasis with 100 acres of woodlands, wetlands, meadows and a lake. It contains outdoor art works as well as recreational experiences, including nature walks and interactive art exhibitions.
If your preference is to sit back and enjoy performing arts, try one of the following:
- Performing arts take center stage at the Greenwood Amphitheater during the summer. Various concerts allow residents to bring their picnic baskets and blankets to enjoy music under the stars.
- The Greenwood Community Band entertains music lovers almost year-round in Greenwood and around Indianapolis.
Greenwood’s proximity to downtown Indianapolis offers easy access to first-class arts entertainment, such as:
Explore all Indy arts organizations and venues.
Festivals and entertainment
Live music, great food and family entertainment? Yes!
- FEBRUARY: Taste of the Southside. Sample food and beverages from more than 40 exhibitors, watch the live “Chef Challenge” cooking competition, and bid on great gift baskets at the silent auction. Attendees must be 21 years old or older.
- JUNE: Freedom Festival. Begin the day with a patriotic parade. Enjoy the street fair at Old City Park. Visit the car show at the Greenwood Community Center. Then head to Craig Park for food, games, fun, live music and the best fireworks display in central Indiana.
- AUGUST: WAMM Fest. Savor fragrant wine from Indiana vineyards. Shop the juried art fair, featuring more than 50 artists with unique-to-the-area artwork, photography, jewelry, pottery and more. Dance to the great line-up of six bands performing on two stages throughout the day. Enjoy delicious, award-winning Indiana lagers and ales. Devour tasty eats from local restaurants. And the best part? Ticket proceeds are donated to local charities.